Thursday, March 18, 2010

Why Are Steelhead So much Fun

I have recently wondered why I do not post more on this site. I guess i figured that no one read these, however after seeing someone else's i can see that people do read. I live in TN and all i think about all year is when i get to go back to PA and hit Steelhead Alley for 4 days of hardcore all day fishing. I also realize that i have to start tying all the flies that i can right now because i will have about a million breakoffs. About 45% will be fish the rest are rocks and other fisherman that see you catching fish and get to close to you. The funny thing is that when i was growing up i lived right in the middle of Steelhead Alley and did fish or think about it as much as i do now. I have a 8lb 25" Brown that i caught with my grandpa mounted on my wall. What i did not realize at the time was that it was going to be the last one that i caught with him. To this day when i walk in my office and look at it i remember that day. (I have it in my office at work because that's the only place that my wife will let me) In the last two years i have been very successful at landing many Steelies with my fly rod. I try a different rod each year. Last year i caught a 27" 8lb on my Orvis T3 9' 5wt, I had 45 minutes of painstaking fun. Also last year i caught 3 or 4 on a 9'6" 6wt that also took awhile. Last thanksgiving i caught the one in the picture 28" 9.5lbs with my new toy a 11' 7wt that i now plan to take every year. So with all that to say why are steelhead fun? I would say because at any moment you can get that one strike that will take you to your backing in a matter seconds. That one strike can also last only seconds because of the way that these fish fight. You also have to take into account that once a year these fish run out of lake Erie and are one hard to fool and with all the fishing pressure they have at times irregular feeding patterns. The weather plays a part in the fun as well. You have to rain in order for the fish to make their run, however to much rain makes for bad fishing. If you have ever been to PA around Thanksgiving you know that Snow and multi layers of clothing go together. All these factors add to one the greatest things a man can do, take on a Steelhead and pray that it comes out in your favor. I have more pictures of fish that my brother and i caught now that someone is reading this i will post them.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jason
    Sorry I didn't get to see you on this trip. Our son was with us and got sick and we had to leave early afternoon. I will see you when we come back on April 1st. B. T. and I will be going that Friday with David to the Caney for our float trip. See you then Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good i will be interested to hear where he takes you and what you catch. It will be interesting to hear about techingues used by other guides..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jason
    Just got back from our local lake ---165 areas got there at 11:00 and didn't do anything until 2:00 ---got into some 11--12" bass and caught 10 or 12 on the little minnow using my 5 wt. fly rod ------------toooo much fun. All of them were about 4 to 5 ft. away from the bank. I could not get any takes on any popper and soft hackle, they were not moving much---anyway I got to catch something with the fly rod. This guide has a drift boat and from everything I have heard about him he knows what he is doing. He has a blog—
    http://southeasternfly.blogspot.com/ See what you think.
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would say that he looks like he knows what he is doing. I am thinking that you will put in at happy hallow and float to betty's island. He may not have a motor to put in at Bettys and go down then drive back up. I can't wait to see some pictures. Next time we will have to hit the river on some of my holes who knows they might be the same spots. Either way we will make a few trips for sure.

    ReplyDelete